Easy Peasy Homemade Mayo
Making your own healthy homemade mayonnaise has never been so easy! This foolproof method is a total game changer. Stick with me and you will never purchase store bought mayo ever again!
Let's face it, if you are a creamy dressing, mayo obsessed person (ahem...like me) BUT also a health consicious person (again, me) then you have probably had a really hard time finding a mayo in the store that fits your needs.
Once you try this recipe, you will be blown away at how easy it is to make your own homemade mayo that you will never need to buy a store brand again.
The only equipment you need is a hand immersion blender which can be found at almost all grocery stores. Picture below so you know what to look for. I love to use this hand blender for pureeing soups as well!
Let's get right to the details so you can start making your own mayo ASAP!
- 1 glass jar, which you will use to both make AND store the mayo. Make sure that you use tall jar with an opening that’s just wide enough to accommodate your immersion blender. I prefer to use a pint sized wide mouth mason jar or a 2 cup measuring container.
- An immersion blender as pictured above. This is the magical appliance that will make your mayonnaise whip up SO easily. And no, a normal blender won't work..I have tried and failed.
- One WHOLE large or extra-large fresh egg (size does matter here. Make sure you use a large or extra-large egg)
- One egg YOLK, yes yolk only.
- One cup extra light tasting olive oil*, liquid (no flavor) coconut oil or avocado oil (my preference).
- 1 tsp of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar with "the mother" OR my preferred raw ACV- Fire Cider
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- OPTIONAL flavors: raw garlic cloves (my fave for the added health benefits), siracha, rosemary, thyme, any herb really. The sky is the limit to the mayo flavors!
*About the oil, it’s VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU USE light tasting olive oil and NOT full flavor. The latter is way too strong for mayonnaise! You could, however, sub avocado oil or no flavor liquid coconut. I prefer Chosen Foods Avocado Oil for the most nuetral flavor.
Add all the ingredients to your glass jar and let them sit for a few seconds, just long enough for the eggs to settle at the bottom of the jar, underneath the oil.
Insert your immersion blender and push it all the way down until it makes contact with the bottom of the jar.
Push the power button and do not move the blender AT ALL for a full 30 seconds. Almost like magic, you’ll see the oil start to emulsify and turn into a thick creamy concoction, slowly making its way all the way to the top of the jar.
After 30 seconds, the transformation should be pretty much complete, so start moving your blender around and up and down just to make sure that every last bit of oil gets well incorporated as my video shows below.
The beautiful thing about making your own mayo is now you can easily make your own ranch too. Ranch Recipe located HERE!